SFCU Forums

Author Topic: MATCH: SYDNEY FC vs Central Coast Mariners - 7:50 PM, Fri 10 March  (Read 11040 times)

Offline simo

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 7
Re: MATCH: SYDNEY FC vs Central Coast Mariners - 7:50 PM, Fri 10 March
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:59 pm »
Ticket price is an important factor. The league is definitely overpriced.

Is it? In international terms? I used to watch Cambridge United in League Two. Probably the worst football I've ever seen at professional level (and I include NSL and NSWPL in that) and it was 20 (~$35) a pop. I saw Chelsea behind the goal, courtesy of a friend with season tickets, for I think 55 ($90) that was probably discounted on account of his membership. Saw the FA Cup final a few years back 115 ($185) - wasn't worth half that. And when I lived in France I used to watch Lille, the season before their premiership, for 30-40 ($40-55) for the cheaper seats.

In light of all that, $56 for Platinum Plus Sydney FC tickets doesn't seem too bad, particularly given the standard of play this season. And that's before you take into account how much higher salaries are here than in France and the UK.
This.
A couple of years ago, 4 tickets behind the goal for a midweek Championship match at Craven cottage set me back 100 quid.

Hasn't changed (depending on opponent) - I'm paying 25 for tickets for tomorrow's match...

Offline AlarmClockBandit

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 56
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »
I don't think the A League is over priced. If we compare it against the real competition I don't see much difference. Just picked up some GA Rabbitohs tickets for $26 each. $25 for a SFC game seems fine.

I don't think prices are the barrier to people coming to games. Weeknight games and terrible weather are barriers.

Casual fans also probably only go to a few games a season. I'd say that would be Sydney derbies, big blue and maybe a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon game with the kids.

If we had more Saturday night games with good weather I doubt we would even be discussing this.

Offline rhysmcfc

• NEW WORLD ORDER
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 551
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »
People forget we've had a Thursday and two Friday games in pouring rain the last 3 games. Of course it seems shit right now

Online CountArach

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:18 pm »
Wanderers only got 7828, so don't worry, we're all good.

Offline frogmouth

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
  • Liked: 78
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »
"consistently double our crowds"

Online Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1409
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »
That included a bunch of freebies for ladies football week, any female player registered with the FFA was entitled to a ticket.

Online [dM]

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »
"consistently double our crowds"

Well yeah, 3,900 would be a pretty typical crowd for Sydney for a weekend fixture leading into a finals series that we'll likely be involved in.
Sydney,
Is sky blue Sydney?
Is sky blue Sydney?
Is sky blue ...  ?

Offline Jay D

• I'll give you much more than a walk in the park
  • Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 374
  • OH YEAH
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2017, 06:12:15 pm »
someone needs to tweet that Lucy Zelic dumbass and ask her what she thinks of McWanderers drawing less than 8k
Quote from: Drughi version2.0
i tried to break into the pizza hut, so i could make myself a kebab.

Offline david

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:54 pm »
someone needs to tweet that Lucy Zelic dumbass and ask her what she thinks of McWanderers drawing less than 8k

Bit harsh. What has she done?

Offline Jimmy H

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2017, 08:45:05 pm »

But they are awful and we are really good. They have one excuse we don't.
Sydney FC forever!

Offline Jay D

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • OH YEAH
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:21 am »

Bit harsh. What has she done?

About a month ago she tweeted asking why our crowds were "so small".  This was after a game where we pulled 12-13,000

Yet her precious wandershite pull only 7 or 8k and the twitter silence is deafening.

Offline shabby

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:47 am »
In fairness, I think a lot of the puzzlement about our crowds is that we're winning so hard, but no one is coming to see it.

The Wanderers are in a pretty different position.

Offline AlarmClockBandit

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 56
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:22 am »
In fairness, I think a lot of the puzzlement about our crowds is that we're winning so hard, but no one is coming to see it.

Pretty much this.

Lots of excuses are granted to WSW fans. Not doing well, crap stadium, yada yada yada.

We are expected to have huge crowds because we are winning. Don't worry that apart from the derby (which the media doesn't talk about when they say our crowds are low) we haven't had a Saturday night home game since November and that was against Adelaide United. Throw in the horrible rain we have had for the last few home games and I'm not too concerned.

We are drawing higher crowds round to round than they are, despite their membership numbers being so much higher. Questions should be asked about "the most passionate fans in the league" considering they can't even bring themselves to watch their team play.

Trying not to get on a rant here, but lets not forget that Western Sydney represents 50% of the population of Sydney either. No reason they should be behind us in crowds. Western Sydney is also predicted to grow in the future and is going to be the main area in Sydney for housing development. Good reason to bring a team into Southern Sydney isn't it.

Offline SydneyTaxi

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:46 pm »
Prize for longest lingering meandering Mariners game thread ever?

On the crowd numbers meander:
We have just over 12,000 actual paying members yet people create noise when we drew a crowd of 13,000 on a wet and wild Friday night, to a FTA televised game.
Western Suburbs claim 20,000 members yet drew under 8,000 for their most recent Sunday game.
Not that their game was do or die or anything, just that they are fighting to stay alive for the finals.
Shudder the thought, but if you were one of their supporters why would you want to watch a game like that?

Glass still half full, guess if reporters are only talking about us it simply acknowledges which club is Sydney hey.  :whistle:

Offline Southy

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 436
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »
How dumb was the split round!
15 days without a game to care about feels really odd at this point of the season.

Offline Willy

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 37
  • Semper Latte
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:48 pm »
15 days without a game to care about feels really odd at this point of the season.

Well after the split round and Perth Away, you lot in Sydney should be gagging for a bit of live football on a Saturday night.

All of this hand-wringing and analysis about crowd figures - it will only be justified IMO if we pull a par-with-membership crowd against City.
Lurking. Watching. Judging.

Offline Mr

• Moocooboola
  • Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2017, 05:14:42 pm »

It sucks the energy, but gives the ACL teams a chance. The FFA might do better by looking at the teams in the ACL, play a mid week fixture or two during the December school holidays (with at least one game being the ACL teams) and that means non-ACL sides can play in nearly full rounds for the two/three weeks at the start of the ACL Group Stage.
The next game is always the toughest one - Sepp Herberger

Offline shabby

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2017, 07:50:44 pm »
Problem is, no one cares about the ACL.

Offline georgeg

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2017, 08:03:54 pm »
Good for Aus football if these teams do well. I like the ACL unlike the A-league much harder to pick the winner. Want to see us win it.

Offline Troy

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 148
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2017, 09:14:44 pm »
Good for Aus football if these teams do well. I like the ACL unlike the A-league much harder to pick the winner. Want to see us win it.

Too bad they're doing horribly.

Offline Jay D

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • OH YEAH
« Reply #270 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:10 am »

Pretty much this.

Lots of excuses are granted to WSW fans. Not doing well, crap stadium, yada yada yada.

We are expected to have huge crowds because we are winning. Don't worry that apart from the derby (which the media doesn't talk about when they say our crowds are low) we haven't had a Saturday night home game since November and that was against Adelaide United. Throw in the horrible rain we have had for the last few home games and I'm not too concerned.

We are drawing higher crowds round to round than they are, despite their membership numbers being so much higher. Questions should be asked about "the most passionate fans in the league" considering they can't even bring themselves to watch their team play.

Trying not to get on a rant here, but lets not forget that Western Sydney represents 50% of the population of Sydney either. No reason they should be behind us in crowds. Western Sydney is also predicted to grow in the future and is going to be the main area in Sydney for housing development. Good reason to bring a team into Southern Sydney isn't it.

Of course we all understand why Wanderers crowds are a down, it isn't rocket science.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I mean, wanderers fans love to point out how they are supposedly now the bigger club in Sydney, former ACL winners, 3 grand finals in 4 years, having a new stadium built for them... yet they are struggling to pull 8k for a weekend fixture.

if they really are such a superclub they should be pulling minimum 15k regardless of how bad or good their season is.

Offline shabby

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:49 am »

I mean, wanderers fans love to point out how they are supposedly now the bigger club in Sydney,

Who gives a fuck what they think?