SFCU Forums

Author Topic: Seating in the Cove  (Read 239 times)

Online Jimmy H

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 111
Seating in the Cove
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:54:25 AM »
Can somebody please clarify seating "rules" in the cove? I understand that towards the back of the cove a lot people sit in their assigned seats and if somebody asks you to move thats fair enough if its their actual seat for their membership. But to what point am I expected to move seats?

Had a problem on Saturday with a group of guys coming in about 5 mins after kick off and rather rudely telling me and my two mates to move because they claimed they had tickets for the seats we were in, keep in mind we also had cove tickets (2 memberships and one actual ticket) but we were in about the 10th row from the front where its basically a free for all, so we weren't in our assigned seats. The situation got pretty heated because they were very unreasonable about it and claimed that "everyone does that" which I didn't agree was the case. However I conceded moving to avoid any further trouble.

So the question is, what is the etiquette surrounding this subject? I completely understand moving seats if I'm in someones assigned members seat towards the back of the terrace, but does this still apply in the rows towards the front where its basically a free for all? Am I expected to move seats for someones who just bought a ticket for that game but doesn't have a membership for the seat?

The problem is that majority of people that I've spoken to at away games over the years about people doing this kind of crap say that even at home they don't seat in their assigned seats. So its ridiculous to expect people to move when nobody is sitting in their assigned seats, because if people start going round asking for their assigned seat then you basically are going to have to reshuffle where everyone is sitting.

Sydney FC forever!

Offline david

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 11
Re: Seating in the Cove
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:09:58 AM »
I understand where you're coming from. Particularly towards the front of 23 I've always seen it as GA essentially, however I'll always move if someone says I'm in their seat which I believe is the right thing to do.

Aside from derbies, plenty of room in the Cove these days anyway.

Offline pauly

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 328
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
There aren't really any 'rules' per se with seating, the way I see it as long as you're a Cove member you should be able to stand wherever you like in 22/23/26, which is what a lot of people do (pretty much everyone I know bar a handful of people in the Cove have never sat/stood in their assigned seat since day 1). However, obviously if they are a member they have every right to their seat and everyone should respect that. These guys you had to deal with though were obviously not members so it's a different situation to deal with since they wouldn't be aware of how things work in the Cove bays.

I feel at this point most people you find in the Cove on a given home game are the same people that have been around for a long time, or at least long enough that pretty much everyone sort of subconsciously knows where everyone stands/sits and everyone at this point has their spot like a sort of unspoken thing, hence you'll never get Cove people complaining to one another about who's in whose seat. I think you'll find the only people who ever complain about their assigned seat in the Cove are non-members who showed up with a Cove ticket for x game, which is a rare occurrence and unfortunately happened to you this time. Probably unlikely it'll happen again, but if it does I think a respectful conversation with the person/s (start out by asking them if this is their first time in the Cove) explaining how the Cove works will help accommodate both parties.

This is all my opinion though, feel free to disagree.

Online Jimmy H

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
There aren't really any 'rules' per se with seating, the way I see it as long as you're a Cove member you should be able to stand wherever you like in 22/23/26, which is what a lot of people do (pretty much everyone I know bar a handful of people in the Cove have never sat/stood in their assigned seat since day 1). However, obviously if they are a member they have every right to their seat and everyone should respect that. These guys you had to deal with though were obviously not members so it's a different situation to deal with since they wouldn't be aware of how things work in the Cove bays.

I feel at this point most people you find in the Cove on a given home game are the same people that have been around for a long time, or at least long enough that pretty much everyone sort of subconsciously knows where everyone stands/sits and everyone at this point has their spot like a sort of unspoken thing, hence you'll never get Cove people complaining to one another about who's in whose seat. I think you'll find the only people who ever complain about their assigned seat in the Cove are non-members who showed up with a Cove ticket for x game, which is a rare occurrence and unfortunately happened to you this time. Probably unlikely it'll happen again, but if it does I think a respectful conversation with the person/s (start out by asking them if this is their first time in the Cove) explaining how the Cove works will help accommodate both parties.

This is all my opinion though, feel free to disagree.

Yeh I agree 100%. I've been a member since season two but only had my membership seat in the cove for about 4 or 5 years, can't remember exactly when I moved from cove heights. In all that time of being in the cove I can't remember a single game where I've stood in my actual seat, don't even know where it is. The irritating this is when people don't understand the etiquette regarding seating.

As you said I asked these people if they sit in the cove a lot and they said "yes" and claimed "everyone does this", as in kick people out of their seats  -_- . They were completely and unreasonable and refused to listen when I tried to explain its not the done thing, which is why it got heated. What exactly can I do in that situation? If I get security involved they are most likely going to just tell me to sit in my actual seat despite how unreasonable that is because then everyone would have to move.

Sydney FC forever!

Online Jubal1

• Nemesis for hire, 4 drink minimum.
  • Administrator
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1399
  • Worlds worst motivational speaker
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
Its VERY simple.

Stand where you want, but if someone comes along and wants 'their' seat, you move. That's the price of the loose seating arrangement, somewhere between a free for all and fixed seating. There are plenty of people, including me, who stand at the same place every week.

I have had the same seat since S1, I always stand there, generally with the same people. If there are people in my seat when I get there, but there's room on the back row near where I usually stand, like this weeks game, I stand nearby and let it slide. However, there have been times, when its raining usually, that people large groups have tried to take the space we use every week, they get told to move on, and yes, sometimes they object, but why should I not be able to stand in the same place I've stood (and where everyone who knows me knows to find me) because some random wants to stand there this week.
7 8 Coaches, 7 CEO's, 5 Chairmen, 1 Cove
AD ASTRA, PER ASPERA