SFCU Forums

Author Topic: Aussies Abroad Thread V - No Yuan can stop us now  (Read 69962 times)

Offline King_Crud

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 64
  • this week 'Stop the Film' visited Thames Ditton...
Re: Aussies Abroad Thread V - No Yuan can stop us now
« Reply #1325 on: May 19, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »
Maclaren has joined SV Darmstadt

Dont get the laughs at Leckie. Hes bit of the new Holman in terms of whatever he does is wrong. He's one of the exceptionally few Aussies to be playing regularly in a top league this last season.

Is that photoshopped? The writing looks out of alignment with the shirt

Offline Rory Bunk

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 694
« Reply #1326 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
He's landed the coveted #98 squad number!

Offline simo

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #1327 on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »
He's landed the coveted #98 squad number!

To be fair, the club does have 98 in its name... or was that the joke/point? if so never mind me

Offline Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1394
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #1328 on: May 19, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
Dont get the laughs at Leckie. Hes bit of the new Holman in terms of whatever he does is wrong. He's one of the exceptionally few Aussies to be playing regularly in a top league this last season.
100% agree. They can see him play every week in the team that he trains with every week, while we see him play 8ish games a year in a team where he gets to train for maybe 6 weeks per year. He is clearly doing something right.

He's been consistently frustratingly shit for years, and seems to be being thrown a lifeline at that level simply because he's fast and fit.

It's something you'd expect from lower league England, a player being picked for physical attributes alone, not the Bundesliga.

Offline Mr Cleansheets

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 348
« Reply #1329 on: May 20, 2017, 07:54:21 AM »
He's more than just fast and fit - gets a few tap ins. And under Aloisi he's learnt to make the peel away run off the last defender's shoulder. Doesn't have the technical skill to be a superstar but I see more potential in him for the Socceroos than just about any other striker (at the moment).
'The relief! I've never been so happy to be lying in my own piss.'   Political Football: Lawrie McKinna's Dangerous Truth   http://www.adriandeans.com

Offline Harsulas

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #1330 on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:56 AM »
He's more than just fast and fit - gets a few tap ins. And under Aloisi he's learnt to make the peel away run off the last defender's shoulder. Doesn't have the technical skill to be a superstar but I see more potential in him for the Socceroos than just about any other striker (at the moment).

I think he was talking about Leckie

Offline JohnnyRico

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #1331 on: May 20, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
100% agree. They can see him play every week in the team that he trains with every week, while we see him play 8ish games a year in a team where he gets to train for maybe 6 weeks per year. He is clearly doing something right.

He's been consistently frustratingly shit for years, and seems to be being thrown a lifeline at that level simply because he's fast and fit.

It's something you'd expect from lower league England, a player being picked for physical attributes alone, not the Bundesliga.

the Bundesliga isn't some grand bastion of football technicality though, a good chunk of it is just clubs surviving and trying any way they can to achieve some sort of next level like everywhere. Picking up a young guy who's known the league now for a couple seasons, has a fantastic motor and constantly puts in is another small way to get there. It's not surprising at all
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:42:11 AM by JohnnyRico »

Offline Mr Cleansheets

• Sydney FC Obsessed
« Reply #1332 on: May 20, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »

I think he was talking about Leckie

Aah, quite.

As you were.
'The relief! I've never been so happy to be lying in my own piss.'   Political Football: Lawrie McKinna's Dangerous Truth   http://www.adriandeans.com

Offline Clovis

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 532
  • The cake is a lie
« Reply #1333 on: May 20, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »

I think one of the problems of judging Leckie solely by his performance in the Australia squad is that he almost always plays LW despite not being left footed or a left winger.  At club level he almost always plays RW or centre forward. 

Look at this highlight reel of him, in all but one club game he is right or central, in all but one Socceroo game he is on the left and either trying to cross with the outside of his right foot or adjusting his run so he can kick with his right.

https://youtu.be/m3xKOnpS23s

If he wanted to come home I would be happy with him playing RW for Sydney under the cap.
Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

Offline Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #1334 on: May 20, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »
I've seen a few games for Ingolstadt where's he's been every bit as frustrating to watch as Hoole. Seemingly does the difficult stuff then fluffs the simple pass for someone else to score.

It's also not a great indicator of his performances at RW that other teams are looking to convert him. Can't think of too many other 26yo internationals who've essentially been told they're not up to where they're currently being played.

Might be being a tad harsh on him though. If even half the current NT were playing at a similar level we wouldn't be in the current qualification pickle.

Offline mike88

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1335 on: May 20, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
I only saw extra time, but from what he saw he was one of the best on the pitch.

Would love to see him drive Hudds into the EPL.

Being retired I've had time to watch most of Huddersfield's televised matches this season, he's been great for them but the number of matches  played over there does seem to have caught up with him in the latter part of the season, not getting as many clean tackles in like he was earlier in the season.

I just hope he's got something left in the tank for the playoff final and our WC qualifier shortly afterwards.

I'd also like to see Hudders in the EPL with their crazy German manager and their easy on the eye style of play.
Cor blimey hello Mrs Jones, how's your Bert's lumbago?

Offline esfc

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #1336 on: May 20, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »
We all know Leckie has a final pass / finish problem. I've seen him at club level and it is similar there too annoyingly. Looking positively it's a credit other clubs are interested even at looking to change his position. This is German football, the amount of players available is fucking immense.

On Mooy and the long season, that has genuinely affected everyone in the division, not just him. People in Aus and over there who were impressed with him early were waiting for him to peter out by late November and he didn't. Showing again how much he's fucking up for this

Online bmfc

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #1337 on: May 20, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
On Mooy and the long season, that has genuinely affected everyone in the division, not just him. People in Aus and over there who were impressed with him early were waiting for him to peter out by late November and he didn't. Showing again how much he's fucking up for this

Apparently that was Mooy's 50th game for Huddersfield.

Offline garuna

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #1338 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »

He's gotten like 2 seasons worth of A-league games in 1.

Online RedKat

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 721
« Reply #1339 on: May 20, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »

Chuck in internationals and travelling halfway across the globe for those games and hes had a LOOOOOOONG season

Offline humanerror

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 78
« Reply #1340 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

He's gotten like 2 seasons worth of A-league games in 1.

Getting there.

season appearances starts minutes
2012-13    23    20    1,771
2013-14    26    22    1,943
2014-15    27    27    2,391
2015-16    26    25    2,283
2016-17   47    44    4,041

Offline esfc

• Sydney FC Fan
« Reply #1341 on: May 20, 2017, 11:37:50 PM »
I don't wanna sound like Fox Sports Football Facebook page, but he genuinely may be the fucking second coming of Christ. Everyone with a clue loves Mooy in England and they also don't want fucking Reading back up AGAIN.

I'm also very keen for this Bradford v Milwall playoff. I think Meredith is in a similar situation to Mooy only a step down. If Bradford lose its 100% time for him to move on to a Championship team and apparently he has quite a few suitors interested. I think short term he's a much better prospect then Smith or Gersbach honestly if we'really using 4 at the back.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:40:59 AM by esfc »

Offline Mr Cleansheets

• Sydney FC Obsessed
« Reply #1342 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:16 AM »

Chuck in internationals and travelling halfway across the globe for those games and hes had a LOOOOOOONG season

I think he may have become a dad halfway through the season also, which would take it out of him.

Online SGD

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 265
  • I AM KENNETH BONE
« Reply #1343 on: May 21, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
I don't wanna sound like Fox Sports Football Facebook page, but he genuinely may be the fucking second coming of Christ. Everyone with a clue loves Mooy in England and they also don't want fucking Reading back up AGAIN.

I'm also very keen for this Bradford v Milwall playoff. I think Meredith is in a similar situation to Mooy only a step down. If Bradford lose its 100% time for him to move on to a Championship team and apparently he has quite a few suitors interested. I think short term he's a much better prospect then Smith or Gersbach honestly if we'really using 4 at the back.

Does anyone actually know who he is? I'm the son of a big Reading fan, and they've done great, but I agree that having these northern fallen giants getting up is much more entertaining.

Offline Schoolboy Errors

• Just waiting for you to slip up.
  • Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 126
« Reply #1344 on: May 22, 2017, 10:59:09 PM »
Looks like Hertha have triggered Leckie's 3m release clause. Good move for him - getting paid to play football and live in Berlin. Happy days.

Online RedKat

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 721
« Reply #1345 on: May 24, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »
Kewell appointed manager of League Two side, Crawley Town.

Offline Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #1346 on: May 24, 2017, 12:21:06 AM »
Kewell appointed manager of League Two side, Crawley Town.

Sacked before Xmas.

Offline Mr Cleansheets

• Sydney FC Obsessed
« Reply #1347 on: May 24, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if HK goes alright, but he may have a resources problem at that end of the league.

I'd like him to do well in the UK if only for the reputation of Oz football.

Offline Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #1348 on: May 24, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »
He's fucking thick and has zero experience at that level of the football food chain. It'll end in tears.

Offline esfc

• Sydney FC Fan
« Reply #1349 on: May 24, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
Yeboah resigned a 2 year deal with Gladbach