SFCU Forums

Author Topic: Statement From Sydney FC  (Read 24528 times)

Offline Tony P

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
  • Liked: 138
Statement From Sydney FC
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »
Dear Members & fans.

We just want to clarify some issues surrounding last night.

Late last night after the game, both of us were made aware that a staff member of Sydney FC who was located at pitch level during the game, did request that a number of banners in The Cove supporters area be removed. The direction did not come from us or any other Sydney FC Board members and we were unaware it had been made at the time.
Despite this, as the management and executive of the club we take full responsibility for the decision, admit it was wrong and apologise wholeheartedly to the fans that were affected and to the supporters as a whole.

We have since spoken to the staff member concerned and will put in place protocols to ensure these circumstances are not repeated.
The Club has always believed that every fan has the right to peacefully and respectfully voice their opinions and this is a principle that we will uphold.

In relation to the eviction, we are also disappointed and regret that this incident occurred. The supporter in question should not have been evicted and we believe due process was not carried out by stadium security. On behalf of Sydney FC we wish to apologise to the fan affected by the events on the night. The Club has met with stadium security today and informed them that we believe they acted without appropriate authority. We will continue discussions with the SCG Trust prior to Saturday's game and make contact with the supporter.

To ensure there is no repeat of last night, we will also be meeting with a number of Cove members early this week to discuss these issues and concerns.

Despite these unfortunate incidents, we acknowledge this is a challenging time for our A-League team and all of us are disappointed with last night's result. We urge all our members and supporters to stay united in the run up to the finals and to continue to support the team.   

Sydney FC  remains in contention across the A-league, W-League and Youth League. The club will continue to fight across all three championships and work to ensure all our players and officials are supported and that our members are proud of our efforts.

Regards

Scott Barlow & Tony Pignata

tim.

Re: Statement From Sydney FC
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:50:58 pm »
interesting way to put things

Offline Jubal1

• Nemesis for hire, 4 drink minimum.
  • Administrator
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1477
  • Worlds worst motivational speaker
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »
This thread will be very heavily moderated.

Regardless of your opinion of the club's response, rudeness and disrespect will not be tolerated, the club is trying to do what we have asked them to do and respond to last nights events. Even if you don't like it, keep it civil.

You are of course welcome to present any opinion you please.
7 8 Coaches, 7 CEO's, 5 Chairmen, 1 Cove
AD ASTRA, PER ASPERA

Offline Turner

• umop episdn
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 150
  • Game Done Changed
    • Ed Burton is a pseudonym
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 02:55:27 pm »
Bit of an anti climax.

To be fair to shabby (I think) from the other thread jubal, this reads like a version of what he predicted...

The club will say that the Coves actions were all down to Slow being ejected  - which was a mix up in communication - and the fans being a bit frustrated about our 'inconsistent' results.

TP, SB and FF would have slept quite soundly last night, I reckon.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:01:20 pm by Turner »

Offline ElMundoEsMio

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1090
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:56:30 pm »
Terrific, that's out of the way.

So back to the original message of the banner?

Offline demotedD

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 366
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »
I hope this message will be sent in an email to members and posted on the clubs website/social media.

Farina Out?
"Jesus..died..for somebody's sins..
..but not....MINE!".

Online daveee

• Pipe down, fatty.
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 363
  • hi
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:07:51 pm »
At what point do the decision makers of the club (ie Tony Pignata and Scott Barlow) become responsible for how poor we have been not only on the field but off it too?

As for being in contention for the A League, you surely must be joking. That statement alone shows how out of touch you both are when it comes football. The both of you are completely out of your depth.

Offline Macoboy

• The Mayor.
  • Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 69
  • I didn't even give you my coat!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:54 pm »
How can you honestly expect members to stay united and be proud when all you/the club have offered is uninspiring decisions and a complete lack of vision?
wow ~mjk~ you really are the pinnacle of the establishment.

Offline Ado

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »
Despite these unfortunate incidents, we acknowledge this is a challenging time for our A-League team and all of us are disappointed with last night's result. We urge all our members and supporters to stay united in the run up to the finals and to continue to support the team.   

I respect your decision to post on this forum, and clarify the off field incidents last night, but after reading this part of your post, I can't help but to think your missing or deliberately trying to miss the point entirely here.

We have been playing average to below average football for quite a few seasons now. People are fed up with it. We have seemed inept, clueless and directionless for far too long and it's high time it gets sorted out. I do believe this is a big part of your job!

Offline arsenal_fan_92

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »
I hope this message statement will be sent in an email to members and posted on the clubs website/social media.

Agree completely with this. Whilst posting on the forums is great, you must allow all members access to this by sending it to them in an email.

Must say this whole apology smacks of the 'Joe the Cameraman' defence.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:18:40 pm by arsenal_fan_92 »

Offline HarryofOz

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 03:17:26 pm »
Good to see the the wrongs will be put right.

Offline testament

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 529
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 03:17:48 pm »
What a waste of time. No mention of farina then
Former Besiktas teammate

Offline flavius

• Fotti I 'Tardati
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 217
  • peace, love, and all that
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 03:19:36 pm »
I find it amazing that a club "staff member" had the power to make such a request to security. It's extremely worrying and I hope that whatever protocol is implemented will ensure that something like this can never occur again.
"Do you like avocado?" is one of my standard questions when interviewing potential new hires. It's the bar at which basic civilization separates itself from those below us.

Offline flavius

• Fotti I 'Tardati
  • SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:51 pm »
Aside from the staff who were on the bench were there any other club staff at pitch level?
"Do you like avocado?" is one of my standard questions when interviewing potential new hires. It's the bar at which basic civilization separates itself from those below us.

Offline Jubal1

• Nemesis for hire, 4 drink minimum.
  • Administrator
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1477
  • Worlds worst motivational speaker
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 03:22:36 pm »
Match Day Operations staff
7 8 Coaches, 7 CEO's, 5 Chairmen, 1 Cove
AD ASTRA, PER ASPERA

Offline McClenahan's Baldy Head

• RL Knockout Winner RND 8
  • Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 539
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »
So what happens if we unfurl the exact same banners before the game next week?
The most important thing we learned tonight is that the back of bay 22 is way funnier than the back of bay 26. Discuss.

Offline Giraffe

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 117
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »
Was it Joe the Cameraman?

Offline paranoidandroid

• SFCU resident beefcake
  • Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 03:24:12 pm »
A REMINDER

This thread will be very heavily moderated.

Regardless of your opinion of the club's response, rudeness and disrespect will not be tolerated, the club is trying to do what we have asked them to do and respond to last nights events. Even if you don't like it, keep it civil.

You are of course welcome to present any opinion you please.
so sayeth a member of the tifo crew and well 'ard football hooligan in general.

Lokomotiv Cove: Home of the Fingerbangs

Offline Schmidt

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »

Must say this whole apology smacks of the 'Joe the Cameraman' defence.

Not really, the explanation is plausible and consistent with what I saw and heard. TP and SB both tweeted last night that it wasn't them. The head of security did not receive a message. It wasn't even the security in front of the cove that took the banner. Security came from the sideline near our bench to take the banner.

Offline ddr_gdr

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 797
  • "no, it's not me , it's YOU!"
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:32 pm »
Seems to me that this whole incident last night does provide somewhat of a convenient distraction to the undercurrent of issues which we'd rather have addressed in a statement.

Whilst I acknowledge there has been  dialogue between the supporter group and the club over the years,  it seems slightly ludicrous that it took the events of last night to have the club issue a statement to us broader supporters. ..and still said statement only addresses this issue and asks for more continued support,  rather than attempt to confront the herd of elephants in the room around what is wrong with the organisation.

One hopes that this gets plenty of time at the Strategic reveal  night...if they are still game to have it.

I am certaintly looking forward to that forum.

Offline Tommo

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »
This is a wholly predictable, underwhelming response - all damage control, without so much as a smattering of intent to address the serious, long-term issues that lead to last night's events in the first place.

Thankfully, the people who raised these objections care far too much to be won over by a few cheap platitudes. Honestly Tony, if this is all you have to offer by way of response you absolutely should not have bothered.
\'I will stand in Leichhardt, till the day I die...\'

Offline Shatter

• Bay 26 Army
  • Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 58
  • DERVID SPERDE
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 03:35:08 pm »
This is a wholly predictable, underwhelming response - all damage control, without so much as a smattering of intent to address the serious, long-term issues that lead to last night's events in the first place.

Thankfully, the people who raised these objections care far too much to be won over by a few cheap platitudes. Honestly Tony, if this is all you have to offer by way of response you absolutely should not have bothered.

I really can't understand what you were expecting. Did you think Tony would come on here and say that he read a banner so he has decided to sack himself, Farina and told Barlow to leave?  :eh?:

Offline Moller

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 891
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 03:38:07 pm »

100%

The culture of buck-passing at the club is incredible.
Farina blames his players, referees, the underground Pagan movement for poor results rather than facing his own shortcomings.
TP & SB blame a mysterious ground level employee for last night's garbage.
Accountability is overrated evidently.

Trying to believe their story for a second - could be true for the initial banners being removed and subsequent eviction. However, it was pretty clear from about 15 mins in that shit had hit the fan. SB and TP had twitter posts up pretty quickly (more damage control), and obviously knew something had gone awry. How on earth can we then reach a situation where this all powerful ground level employee is STILL giving orders and demanding the fence banners be removed at half time?
Can't Smile Without You

Offline Tommo

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »

I really can't understand what you were expecting. Did you think Tony would come on here and say that he read a banner so he has decided to sack himself, Farina and told Barlow to leave?  :eh?:

I think my post is very clear that this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting? But that that doesn't make it even close to good enough.
\'I will stand in Leichhardt, till the day I die...\'

Offline flavius

• Fotti I 'Tardati
  • SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
I'm not sure what more people want. Tony has taken full responsibility. The first thing that he needed to do was defuse the issue around the evictions. Let's see if he does that.

Then we can talk about sacking Farina.