SFCU Forums

Author Topic: WC Format Change?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Clovis

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 531
  • The cake is a lie
Re: WC Format Change?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 05:08:07 PM »
The only thing wrong with the current format is that it needs an extra rest day between each round so that player fatigue does not become an issue.  The changes that FIFA has proposed are ridiculous.
Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

Offline hatchett

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
RUSSIA 2018 IS THE LAST REAL WORLD CUP. 
Fuck off bitch i am talking to Mr Neeskens   

WWWWDDWWWDWWWDDWDWWDWWWWWWWWWDWDWDDDWW 03/04

Offline Mr2046

• Lonely fan of obscure football leagues
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 595
  • Bay 31
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
RUSSIA 2018 IS THE LAST REAL WORLD CUP.

This GRONKZZ has a point.
The worst of the Eight Hells is called Continuous Hell. It has the meaning of Continuous Suffering. Hence the name. He who is in Continuous Hell never dies. Longevity is a big hardship in Continuous Hell.

Offline James23

• Champions!
  • Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 305
    • SFCU
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:22 AM »
It's not the number of teams for me.. it's the horrible format.

Groups of 3... penalty shoot outs for draws. It's like an American parody of the game.

Bring back Sep... fuck me.
They should add this in while they are at it..

Offline wolfen rising

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
I'm beginning to understand how the cricket traditionalists feel.

Offline Bill

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 210
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 09:10:08 AM »
...and China and India STILL won't qualify.

Not entirely against this however, weaker footballing regions will never improve if they never get to play the top teams.

Offline dibo_returns

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 323
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »
Groups of 3 is just fucking dumb.
Dance like nobody's watching. Post like it's going to be read out in court someday.

Offline thepunter1

• Sydney FC Acolyte
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 03:46:49 AM »
It's pretty stupid to change the WC format, it's even more stupid to change the rules, have you guys seen the suggestions of marco van basten?

Van Basten's ideas for the future of football

Scrap extra-time and go straight to penalties in cup games
Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty
Abolish the offside rule
Play four quarters, rather than two halves
More substitutions
Limit players to five fouls, like in basketball
Limit the number of games a player can play each year

It was reported on mirror.co.uk and a couple of other news sites.
Football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins. -Johan Cruyff

Football Predictions

Offline RusskiSydney

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 238
  • "Sydney Till I Die"
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
It's pretty stupid to change the WC format, it's even more stupid to change the rules, have you guys seen the suggestions of marco van basten?

Van Basten's ideas for the future of football

Scrap extra-time and go straight to penalties in cup games
Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty
Abolish the offside rule
Play four quarters, rather than two halves
More substitutions
Limit players to five fouls, like in basketball
Limit the number of games a player can play each year

It was reported on mirror.co.uk and a couple of other news sites.

According to Van Basten's social media, it's his job to find out what people like and dont like.
Forever Sydney.

Offline Mr2046

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Bay 31
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »
Co-hosting with up to FOUR countries sharing the load is now being considered.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said on Thursday he intends to encourage co-hosting for the 2026 soccer World Cup that could divide the tournament up between as many as four countries.

“We will encourage co-hosting for the World Cup because we need FIFA to show we are reasonable and we have to think about sustainability long-term,” Infantino said.

“(We could) ...maybe bring together two, three, four countries who can jointly present a project with three, four, five stadiums each. We will certainly encourage it. Ideally the countries will be close to each other.”
The worst of the Eight Hells is called Continuous Hell. It has the meaning of Continuous Suffering. Hence the name. He who is in Continuous Hell never dies. Longevity is a big hardship in Continuous Hell.

Offline Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1436
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:11 PM »
4 x the bribes.  :thumbup:

Offline eddie

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 460
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
Co-hosting with up to FOUR countries sharing the load is now being considered.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said on Thursday he intends to encourage co-hosting for the 2026 soccer World Cup that could divide the tournament up between as many as four countries.

“We will encourage co-hosting for the World Cup because we need FIFA to show we are reasonable and we have to think about sustainability long-term,” Infantino said.

“(We could) ...maybe bring together two, three, four countries who can jointly present a project with three, four, five stadiums each. We will certainly encourage it. Ideally the countries will be close to each other

Stupid idea. They could make it a real World Cup and hold matches on each continent with the final to be played somewhere on the Bosphorus.

Offline Mr2046

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Bay 31
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
Breaking: Fifa announce continental allocation of slots for 2026 World Cup:
AFC: 8
CAF: 9
CONCACAF: 6
CONMEBOL: 6
OFC: 1
UEFA: 16

Confirmed Australia and New Zealand will now qualify for every tournament.

Offline Schoolboy Errors

• Just waiting for you to slip up.
  • Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
It's like a car crash watching FIFA destroy their showpiece event.

You have to marvel at the greed/incompetence.

Offline Hybrid

• Namaste that shit
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1436
  • #TeamCarle
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »

Wow, they're doing it. Infantino is no better than Sepp, the only way it will change is if fans vote with their feet... don't buy tickets and boycott FIFA sponsors.

Offline RusskiSydney

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 238
  • "Sydney Till I Die"
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »

Wow, they're doing it. Infantino is no better than Sepp, the only way it will change is if fans vote with their feet... don't buy tickets and boycott FIFA sponsors.

Boycott Coca Cola  :lol:
Forever Sydney.

Offline Belldiouf

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 277
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »

Based on current WCQ standings, it is incredible to think that shite like the UAE, Uzbeks, Syria and Australia would qualify whilst teams consisting of Netherlands, Denmark, Czech Republic and even Paraguay would miss out.

I totally appreciate the fact that the World Cup needs to be represented by all the regions, but that is too many teams for the AFC and CAF in comparison to Europe and South America.

Russia really is going to be the last great World Cup. Having been to the last 3, i'd strongly recommend anybody who hasn't gone to one to ensure they make it too Russia. Qatar and 2026 onwards will be rubbish.

Offline Leigh

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 199
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »
Asian and africa represent 5.6 out of 7 billion people on this planet.   So what if the rankings today favour europe.  Id conmebol needs another slot then take it off europe.

Offline humanerror

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »

Based on current WCQ standings, it is incredible to think that shite like the UAE, Uzbeks, Syria and Australia would qualify whilst teams consisting of Netherlands, Denmark, Czech Republic and even Paraguay would miss out.

I have no love for the expansion, but speaking as someone who watches plenty of WCQ around the world, you really wouldn't be missing much from those teams right now, even compared to the AFC ones you mention IMHO. Drudgery wouldn't begin to describe it, and at least there is genuine untapped potential in Asia and a whole lot of new interesting aspects on offer (Syria would be an incredible story, it was fun just watching them at the 2011 AC where they were decent value...and they showed far more passion for the cause than the Dutch/Danes/Czechs/etc. do these days). European NT football, not just the top (where it's excelled in the recent WCs) but in its traditional second tier of teams (where it most certainly hasn't), reached its last peak at the turn of the century and is increasingly in a rut with little light on the horizon from what I see.

There is also a possible healthy side effect I'm mindful of here. One positive from the otherwise stupid Euros expansion is that it seemed to encourage a lot of traditional third/fourth tier teams (Wales, Hungary, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Albania) to get their shit in order and have a real crack at qualification instead of just going through their usual dead-end motions because it was supposedly way too hard to qualify previously. It really wasn't, especially recently, but it's similar in Asia. I also actually think part of the problem in the AFC is that so much of the confederation isn't involved in big time football - not just with the 4/5 team WC allocation but only 12 teams competing in the final prolonged stage of group qualification where things get much more serious and testing than in the earlier rounds and even the Asian Cup. If you have eight teams qualifying, then you're probably going to go to 20+ teams for the final stage of group qualifying and a lot more teams are exposed to the most testing and high pressure football in the confederation, on top of the increased incentive for usual also-rans to get their shit in order more with a WC spot now well in reach.

Obviously it could just go the other way with the lowering of the bar leading to a decreased level of competition, but I think people are at risk of jumping the gun with the plain negativity about this (not that FIFA do themselves any favours, especially on the back of Qatar). Let's see what happens. Fundamentally and mathematically (and, yes, politically), taking into account the far lower number of FIFA-affiliated teams of the time, the expansion for 1982 had some significant parallels to this one and that was for the better for the tournament (and world football) ultimately. The one really stupid thing about that expansion was simply the format of illogical three-team groups, and I hope the same for this one is swiftly abandoned afterwards like it was for 1986.

Offline Belldiouf

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

I have no love for the expansion, but speaking as someone who watches plenty of WCQ around the world, you really wouldn't be missing much from those teams right now, even compared to the AFC ones you mention IMHO. Drudgery wouldn't begin to describe it, and at least there is genuine untapped potential in Asia and a whole lot of new interesting aspects on offer (Syria would be an incredible story, it was fun just watching them at the 2011 AC where they were decent value...and they showed far more passion for the cause than the Dutch/Danes/Czechs/etc. do these days). European NT football, not just the top (where it's excelled in the recent WCs) but in its traditional second tier of teams (where it most certainly hasn't), reached its last peak at the turn of the century and is increasingly in a rut with little light on the horizon from what I see.

There is also a possible healthy side effect I'm mindful of here. One positive from the otherwise stupid Euros expansion is that it seemed to encourage a lot of traditional third/fourth tier teams (Wales, Hungary, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Albania) to get their shit in order and have a real crack at qualification instead of just going through their usual dead-end motions because it was supposedly way too hard to qualify previously. It really wasn't, especially recently, but it's similar in Asia. I also actually think part of the problem in the AFC is that so much of the confederation isn't involved in big time football - not just with the 4/5 team WC allocation but only 12 teams competing in the final prolonged stage of group qualification where things get much more serious and testing than in the earlier rounds and even the Asian Cup. If you have eight teams qualifying, then you're probably going to go to 20+ teams for the final stage of group qualifying and a lot more teams are exposed to the most testing and high pressure football in the confederation, on top of the increased incentive for usual also-rans to get their shit in order more with a WC spot now well in reach.

Obviously it could just go the other way with the lowering of the bar leading to a decreased level of competition, but I think people are at risk of jumping the gun with the plain negativity about this (not that FIFA do themselves any favours, especially on the back of Qatar). Let's see what happens. Fundamentally and mathematically (and, yes, politically), taking into account the far lower number of FIFA-affiliated teams of the time, the expansion for 1982 had some significant parallels to this one and that was for the better for the tournament (and world football) ultimately. The one really stupid thing about that expansion was simply the format of illogical three-team groups, and I hope the same for this one is swiftly abandoned afterwards like it was for 1986.

Agree to disagree on the rest of your post, but I 100% agree with the last part. If they had to expand, then go to 40 with 8 groups of 5, or just go the full hog and go to 64 and have 16 groups of 4. You'd have to have some simultaneous matches with the later format.

There was a lot of doom and gloom about going from 16 to 24 teams and then from 24 to 32 teams and it is the same now. Maybe my kids will be complaining about the drop in quality for when they expand from 48 to 64 teams. Who knows.

Offline pauly

• Sydney FC Fan
  • Liked: 332
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Look forward to watching more 6-0 and 8-0 games in the group stage. That'll do wonders for the development of football in those countries.

Offline Leigh

• Sydney FC Obsessed
  • Liked: 199
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:05 PM »
As opposed to never getting there?  Yeah it probably will.

Offline Belldiouf

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
USA / Mexico / Canada announce intention to host 2026, the first 48 team world cup.

USA is probably one of the few countries who could host a 48 team tournament on the own. I'd guess 2030 will be shared over Uruguay / Argentina and 1 other, possibly Chile.

Offline slipton

• Sydney Tifo Crew
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 11:43:31 PM »
USA / Mexico / Canada announce intention to host 2026, the first 48 team world cup.

Even with the shitty 48 team format, that would be an epic world cup.
Hey careful, man, there's a beverage here!